Pick a Location
Vegetarian festivals, library events, street festivals, parenting expos, religious events, concerts, and Earth Day events are a few places where you can reach a large audience and share the intact message. Do a search for your area's local calendar and find an event where you can reach the young and open minded. Mama's Milk, No Chaser has a great article on tabling at Babies'r'Us without ever using the word "circumcise." You will need to contact the event organizer, fill out necessary paperwork and pay to reserve your table. Fees will vary on location and event. Find out what will be provided for your use (tables? chairs? tent?) and what you will need to provide yourself.
- Banner (2.5 x 6 ft.): Contact YWB to get one of the banners shown below on loan.
- YWB Intact Information Cards (Order here.)
- "Circumcision and Religion" cards/fliers by Little Images
- A binder with graphic photos of each type of circumcision
- A framed picture of a circumstraint
- 2 ounces of water with red food coloring in a small jar to show how much blood loss leads to hemorrhaging and death in a newborn
- Freebies with YWB stickers (Candy, diaper cream, nipple pads, nipple cream, bubbles, etc.); buy stickers from YWB or print your own
- Information on foreskin restoration from TLC Tugger
- "Congrats! You're expecting!" cards to hand to pregnant moms (Contact YWB for a discount rate)
- Free "Do Not Circumcise" ankle bands for newborns in hospitals
- A mogen clamp, gomco clamp and plastibell that people can see and touch
- Contact your local poison control center and request free poison control stickers or magnets; hand people a sticker/magnet and an intact info. card
- Offer free bottles of water w/ YWB stickers on them; include a donation jar next to the water bottles
On the day of the event, make sure your table is clean and covered and that all literature is displayed neatly.
By looking well put together, not wearing sunglasses, and flashing a smile, you’ll be more approachable and reach more people. And don’t forget to wear a Your Whole Baby t-shirt!
Stand in front of your well-organized table and engage passersby. If it’ll help you, prepare a friendly opening line. It can be as simple as “Hi! Did you get one of these yet?” Talk to as many people as possible, and make sure everyone leaves with literature!
By educating yourself on the issues before you go, you’ll be ensuring that answering questions will be a snap. Use the literature on your table to supplement your answers. For example, if someone asks about forced retraction, hand them an Intact Information Card and let them know there's an entire section of the Your Whole Baby website dedicated to proper intact care.
Answering Tough Questions
It's impossible to know the stats for every question you may be asked, so don’t worry if you don’t know the answer to a tough question. Simply get the person’s contact information and offer to have someone get back to him or her. Having a copy of this Q&A sheet might help too. Remember: If you don’t know something, that’s OK—never lie!
Don’t forget to have fun and remember why you’re there—to help babies!
If you have a tabling event coming up, Contact YWB and we'll do what we can to be of assistance!